Friday, June 7, 2013

When Your Child Gets Hurt

Last Tuesday, Ben got hurt. We are very blessed to live in a peaceful neighborhood around a large green in The Village of Georgetown, TX. Ben was around the circle by a friend’s house on his wagon. The neighbors were playing ball with their dog. When the ball was thrown over Ben’s head, in her excitement, the dog ran right over Ben, clawing him in the face along the way.


I first learned of the accident from Ben, who stumbled into our home crying, his hand clutched to his face, blood all over his hands and shirt and pants, dripping as he blurted out what had happened through tears and gasps. I looked … it was bad; he would need stitches, and at least a trip to the ER. Jan was upstairs drying her hair, when it happened, so I let her know Ben was hurt.

It is a beautiful thing to see the love of a mother. Though I was doing my best to remain calm and offer an encouraging, peaceful presence in a very tense situation, Jan was a bit more expressive emotionally! Although I would not use the term hysterics, her love and concern for her son was clearly evident in her own gasps and tears.

Within a couple minutes, with a washcloth on his face, Ben and I were headed to St. David’s hospital.

Somehow, by the grace of God, I remained calm, expressing love and support to Ben, but in a way that was encouraging and supportive. Certainly, my mind was racing, all with terrible “What if’s” and “What could be’s;” I was worried and anxious, angry at the dog and the dog’s owners although it really was not their fault, and I was scared this would have a lasting negative impact on my son’s life.

Perhaps I need to revisit my first post on “The Unfairness of Life,” for it just does not seem fair that an innocent 7 year old, through no fault of his own, could suffer like this!

I prayed for healing, for comfort and assurance, for peace, for grace, especially in my attitude and dealings with the neighbors. God did not disappoint, and brought to both me and Ben a surrounding presence of Life. In God’s Spirit, I felt at home, even amidst the chaos.

Jan arrived shortly, with Aaron in tow. She explained, “I just couldn’t stay away. I had to be here for my son.”

I am so proud of Ben! He was incredibly brave! He’s a very perceptive child, and very smart too. Though the doctor danced around the language of STICHES, Ben figured it out and that of course brought fear. He did not want to get stitches. “It’s OK,” he’d say. “It doesn’t hurt anymore. It’s not so bad, really.”


It seems the ER staff had had some experience with sutures and children, so they took some precautions by wrapping Ben up in a sheet, pinning his arms to his sides. I was able to slip my hand in so I could hold his hand as the doctor and nurse did their work.

And that Ben … wow! No tears, no screams. He didn’t fight it. I was amazed. The doctor and nurse were amazed too, for they commented they often had to use ear plugs! TEN STITCHES! A good Bible number—10, signifying completeness.

And with some parting instructions and a prescription for some antibiotics, we were off for home. Ben is supposed to get the stitches out on Sunday.

First of all, I am very thankful for God’s presence throughout this trial of parenthood! I am very thankful that Ben was able to get medical attention and is healing well.  The staff at St. David's were wonderful and Ben even got a visit from the hospital chaplain (and a gift of a stuffed lion who Ben named St. David), and I am very thankful Ben did not get scratched on the eye. He could have easily lost his sight!

Although I tried to calm her, in a strange way I am also thankful for Jan’s distress, for it demonstrated her great love for her child. Although the imagery from the Bible is overwhelmingly patriarchal, there are feminine references. One that is lost in the English translation is that the word, ruach, for Spirit, is a feminine word. Wisdom too is a feminine word. There are a few instances where God is described as a female, namely as a female bird as we find shelter under God’s wings.

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, until the destroying storms pass by. -Psalm 57:1

Jesus even made a reference to a mother hen gathering her brood when he looked out upon Jerusalem, knowing he would die there.

Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! -Luke 13:34

It is a great comfort to me to know that our God and our Creator is like that mother hen, who fusses over us, worries over us, and is in great distress whenever we get hurt. Loving mothers have this inherent compassion and unconditional love for their children—it’s like it’s built into their DNA, woven into their heart and soul. And our great Mother God loves us even more. Thank you, Mother God, for fussing over us!

Ron Trimmer is pastor of Hope United, a new church in Georgetown, Texas. Click here to visit Hope United's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment