Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Unfairness of Life


Like everyone else, I have been deeply troubled by the swath of death and destruction left by the tornado in Moore, Oklahoma.  Devastating.  Though some undoubtedly ask God, “Why?” (a question I have often wrestled with), I am resolved to the fact that there are often no good answers to that question.  Certainly, the blame game has already started.  Some may say it was the gays or abortion or Muslims or Obamacare. 

Still others may point to global warming and the increased volatility of the weather.  And maybe, those who still remember chaos theory (I do have a masters in mathematics!), may blame the butterfly in Sydney, Australia (you’ll have to email me if you actually get that reference).
But here’s the thing. Sometimes life just sucks.  Perhaps we can call it the Unfairness of Life, for there are things that happen that we have no control over.  Stuff happens, sometimes good, sometimes bad.  And that’s life.
Marcus Cole played by Jason Carter

I recall an episode of Babylon 5 where these two people are struggling with this very problem of why bad things happen to good people.  And they’re talking about it, and Marcus says a very profound thing.  He says, “You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair.  Then I thought, wouldn’t it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?  So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.”

Indeed, if we really got what we deserved in this life, we’d be in trouble.

And yet, it is my faith that comforts me, my faith that assures me, my faith that propels me to offer compassion.

And I pray.  I pray for healing and life, comfort for the grieving, relief for the hurting, peace for the troubled in Spirit.  I pray with thanksgiving for the outpouring of love and support.  I pray, because at some moments in my life, it is all that is left to me.


So if you are feeling down by the unfairness of life, I pray you will feel our Lord’s strength and comfort.

You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again.” Psalm 71:20

Ron Trimmer is pastor of Hope United, a new church in Georgetown, Texas.  Click here to visit Hope United's website.

1 comment:

  1. Thought it was the butterfly in New Mexico. I would place the third paragraph from he end that begins with "And I pray" on the back of a business card and pass it out saying that this is truly HOPE. John B

    ReplyDelete