Saturday, May 17, 2014

No Place for Hate


Today, I’m writing to support one of the members of my church, Hope United, who was the victim of hate.  During prayer time last Sunday, she shared that the word “faggot” was written in front of her home in chalk.  Such hateful actions are very distressing and hurtful.  She was obviously shaken by the event, and asked the prayers of our community to help her manage her feelings.  There is no place for hate!

Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.” –Matthew 5:11-12

Austin Gay Pride Parade 2013
I started Hope United almost 4 years ago to be a safe haven for folks who have experienced this very kind of injustice.  Not only do I believe in God’s unconditional love, but also I believe that our Lord does not make mistakes when it comes to the creation of human beings, who are all made in the image of God.

This Sunday I’ll be preaching on John 17 where Jesus asks that his disciples be one with God, to have the same kind of loving, intimate, trusting relationship with our Creator as Jesus had with his heavenly Parent.  Not only are some of us blessed to experience that kind of love from our earthly parents, but many of us also experience it with the person we marry, our life partner.  To deny this kind of love to anyone just because they happen to fall in love with someone who is of the same gender is wrong, and I believe, wrong in the eyes of God.

But even if you do not share my view that two people should be able to love each other regardless of their gender, there is no place for hate!  I do my best to respect the beliefs and opinions of others.  It’s tough to do some days, but I know we each come from different places, and that God loves everyone.  But by the simple virtue of our common humanity, I do my best to recognize the dignity of all human beings.  And more than that, as a follower of Christ, I believe we are called to go even beyond mere toleration but to actually offer love, even to those who hurt us.

Austin Gay Pride Parade 2013
I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” –John 13:34-35

We certainly prayed for the member of our church who was most affected by this hate, as well as pray for understanding and an end to prejudice and hate. But we also prayed for the perpetrator(s) of the crime, that our loving God may sow the seeds of understanding and love so that we might all move closer to God’s Kingdom.

Ron Trimmer is pastor of Hope United, a new church in Georgetown, Texas. Click here to visit Hope United’s website.

No comments:

Post a Comment