Saturday, October 5, 2013

Hope for the Homeless

Given the abundance of wealth in our nation, it is unfathomable to me that we have so many poor. And I believe such blatant inequality is not just wrong; it is utterly sinful. Everything in my being, every bit of my knowledge and faith in Jesus Christ, everything I know of God, convinces me that our Lord deeply cares for all people. And if God shows any partiality it is to the poor, to the weak, the oppressed, and the disenfranchised. In the Hebrew, one word that describes God’s quality and being is hesed, which is translated mercy or compassion. Another word that is central to describing God is mishpah, which means justice and/or judgment. This is God’s will—what God wants and works for: justice. And before you start pulling out some Old Testament, fire and brimstone, kind of God, I want you to go back to your bible and substitute the word justice (or establish justice) for everywhere you see judgment.

Justice is imperative to God, and when there is injustice, God gets angry. Further, our Lord works to end injustice, speaking through prophets and nations, working through ordinary people like you and me.

Even as a youth, I felt deep compassion for all those who suffer, whether it be from war and violence, or economic or social injustice, or simply did not have adequate food, water, health care, and shelter.

Jesus cares, and we who are followers of Jesus must care too.
 

When I was at Iowa State, finishing up my M.S. in Mathematics, I took a part-time job at the local homeless shelter, The Emergency Residence Project. I was so impressed with their work, and I was especially impressed (and inspired) by their director, Vic Moss. Vic was a Jesus figure for me—for he truly exhibited that selfless compassion and Spirit that only comes from God. Vic cared for the least of these, and he would do everything in his power (and more) to help people. Where others tried to convince themselves that the homeless didn’t exist or that they were less than human or even that they deserved to be in their situation cause they were a drunk or just plain lazy, Vic showed no partiality, only compassion and grace.

I learned many of the homeless have poor social skills, mental illness, and often cannot get along with others very well. Certainly, some struggle with some kind of chemical dependence, but that is not the norm. And of course, many are veterans, still living out the horrors of their service to a nation that doesn’t give them the care they need.

The men I met at that shelter were not lazy. Virtually all of them worked. Yes, they worked. It might be temp jobs or construction ones, often taken advantage of by their employers. But they worked. They just could not make it.

Anyone can become homeless. Anyone. If you couple the loss of your job and the loss of your health, your savings can disappear very quickly as mounting medical bills add up. It can happen to anyone, and it certainly is not their fault.


About 6 years ago, when I was on sabbatical, I came to Austin and volunteered at Lifeworks at their drop-in center for homeless kids. They too have a range of issues to deal with. Sadly, many are kicked out of their homes because of their sexual orientation. Others come from abusive situations. But actually there are a large number who come from foster home. When a kid in foster care turns 18, he doesn’t get aid anymore. He’s stuck and out of luck. Up to 18, the state will find a home for him, but not after. Can you imagine totally breaking off from your children when they turn 18? How can they survive? College, even with a scholarship, is beyond their grasp. And what kind of job can they find? Flipping burgers at McDonald’s at minimum wage? You think you can live off that?

Coming to Georgetown, I knew Georgetown had homeless too. Oh, they might seem invisible, but they’re here. Because Georgetown has an ordinance against letting them beg on the side of the road, you don’t see them as much.

And there are also kids. Thus far, we’ve held 2 prayer vigils for homeless kids. I’ve tried to advocate for the homeless, been able to get some press for them, and wrote opinions in the Sun. Thankfully, we now have the Eagle Locker and the Nest, which is supported by the Georgetown Project. Hope United continues to support these. And we have helped specific people too.
There’s one right now. The spouse of one of our members got to know a boy at Eastview High School. Let’s call him “Stephen.” Stephen is a good student at Eastview. Like many other kids, he’s involved in activities at school. He’s just like any other kid there. But he’s homeless. He's a "couch surfer." He basically stays at friend's homes, often moving from one to another. Couch surfer's never have any certitude about where they are going to stay. They can easily wear out their welcome, not because of bad behavior, just because sooner or later the host realizes they can’t stay forever.

So talking with Stephen, we know he has specific needs:

He needs shoes, size 10.5, with one pair in black, cause he plays in the band. He could also use socks and underwear, size small. And gift cards are great—to H.E.B. or Wal-mart so he can buy food and toiletries. Even gift cards to fast food places would be helpful—he’s still a kid and would like to hang out with friends!

You can email me if you want to help Stephen, or bring items to worship at Hope United and we’ll get them to him.

“For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.” And the king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” -Matthew 25:37-41

Ron Trimmer is pastor of Hope United, a new church in Georgetown, Texas. Click here to visit Hope United’s website.

No comments:

Post a Comment