Friday, September 20, 2013

The Hope of Forgiveness

Once upon a time two brothers who lived on adjoining farms fell into conflict. It was the first serious rift in 40 years of farming side by side, sharing machinery, and trading labor and goods as needed without a hitch. Then the long collaboration fell apart. It began with a small misunderstanding and it grew into a major difference, and finally it exploded into an exchange of bitter words followed by weeks of silence.

One morning there was a knock on John’s door. He opened it to find a man with a carpenter’s toolbox. “I’m looking for a few days work” he said. “Perhaps you would have a few small jobs here and there. Could I help you?”


“Yes,” said the older brother. “I do have a job for you. Look across the creek at that farm. That’s my neighbor; in fact, it’s my younger brother. Last week there was a meadow between us and he took his bulldozer to the river levee and now there is a creek between us. Well, he may have done this to spite me, but I’ll show him up one better. See that pile of lumber curing by the barn? I want you to build me a fence, an 8 foot tall fence, so I won’t need to see his place anymore.”

The carpenter said, “I think I understand the situation. Show me the nails and the post-hole digger and I’ll be able to do a job that pleases you.”

The older brother had to go to town for supplies, so he helped the carpenter get the materials ready and then he was off for the day.

The carpenter worked hard all that day measuring, sawing, nailing. About sunset when the farmer returned, the carpenter had just finished his job. The farmer’s eyes opened wide, his jaw dropped. There was no fence there at all. It was a bridge, a bridge stretching from one side of the creek to the other! A fine piece of work, handrails and all, and the neighbor, his younger brother, was coming across, his hand outstretched.

“You are quite a fellow to build this bridge after all I’ve said and done.” The two brothers met at the middle of the bridge, taking each other’s hand. They turned to see the carpenter hoist his toolbox on his shoulder.

“No, wait! Stay a few days. I’ve a lot of other projects for you,” said the older brother.

“I’d love to stay on,” the carpenter said, “but I have so many more bridges to build.”

My friends, Jesus Christ is the one who can break down the walls we divide ourselves and build the kind of bridges that bring reconciliation and forgiveness and wholeness, where we can see ourselves as one body. And yet, we know we have a role to play at times. God works through each of us to build the kind of world our children will live in, to create a world of peace and liberty and freedom, a place where it is ok to be who you are, a place where all are welcome, all are loved.


Thinking back to the Civil Rights movement of the 60s and the sweeping reforms that aided people of color, Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall once said. “The legal system can force open doors, and sometimes even knock down walls, but it cannot build bridges. That job belongs to you and me.”

My friends, we are to build together for God, seeing the world through Christ’s eyes. There should not be division among us, injustice, prejudice, conflict. We are to be one people, united in God’s love. For together we are the holy temple of the Lord, knit together, all contributing, all a part of the body of Christ. May we truly see with open eyes and love with open arms, so that the dream of the Kingdom of God may soon be realized. Let us build it together; let us build it for God.

Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged; do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back
. -Luke 6:36-38

Ron Trimmer is pastor of Hope United, a new church in Georgetown, Texas. Click here to visit Hope United’s website.

No comments:

Post a Comment