Friday, August 16, 2013

Praying for Peace in Egypt

So there is more violence in Egypt. My heart goes out to the people. I was reluctant to say anything about the conflict because quite frankly, I must admit I’m not that well informed. Sure, I read about it on the news, listen to stories about it on NPR, but I acknowledge my own limited perspective. But even so, it does seem like all sides are to blame for the conflict.

Certainly, when I encounter conflict in the church, whether from disagreements about church matters to domestic disputes between couples to issues of family dysfunction, I have quickly learned it is never all one person’s fault. We all bear some responsibility.

There are no easy answers. It would be so much easier if that wasn’t the case and it seems we even mislead ourselves by buying into simple answers, painting everything in black and white, or maybe red and blue. But there’s a lot of gray, purple too, as well as yellow and brown and green.

That’s one of the reasons I like Jesus so well. He didn’t settle for the conventional wisdom of his day. He saw things from another perspective, a third way if you will.

It’s sad that a popular and for the most part peaceful revolution has turned into such a chaotic, violent scene. I pray for peace, for understanding, for people to be reasonable.

Democracy is not a perfect political system, but I can’t think of anything better. It’s messy, and it takes time for things to work themselves out. But in a world of unyielding, ideological positions, people are often impatient to come to the table of diplomacy, and God forbid, reconciliation. The Lord weeps.

This reminds of a story. From The Christian Century (Sept. 6, 2011). In a sermon published in Journal for Preachers, Albert C. Winn told an old Hasidic tale (A Way Out of No Way: Exodus 14:5-31). According to the rabbi, the angels were rejoicing over the deliverance of Israel at the Red Sea—playing their harps and tambourines, singing and dancing as if right along with Miriam and her fellow Israelites. But then one noticed the Lord our God. “Wait,” she said. “Look, the Creator of the Universe is sitting there, weeping!” They approached God and asked, “Why are you weeping when Israel has been delivered by your power?

“I am weeping,” the Great I AM said, “for the dead Egyptians washed up on the shore—somebody’s sons, somebody’s husbands, somebody’s fathers.”

Join me in praying for comfort for those who have lost loved ones, healing for those who have been affected by violence and war, understanding and reconciliation and mercy. And join me in asking God for forgiveness for all that we have done and not done that has led to conflict and pain. And join me in praying for peace.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.” -Matthew 5:9

Ron Trimmer is pastor of Hope United, a new church in Georgetown, Texas. Click here to visit Hope United's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment